The places I go

The more that you read, the more things you will know.

The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. -Dr. Seuss

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Writing prompt 1

End with, "It was raining, but he didn't open his umbrella."

Well, my brain already begain *starting* with the quote, so I followed it:

The first time I saw him, it was raining, but he didn't open his umbrella.

He was crossing the street, wearing a suit and tie. His coat was open, and I wondered where he was going in such a hurry. The umbrella hung off his arm, unopened, and he held a newspaper over his head.

I started to see him more after that. Maybe he'd always been there and I'd just never noticed...he'd blended into the crowds. But now I see him everywher. Buying a paper at the corner store. Walking out of the coffee shop, carrying his coffee in a paper cup. Walking his chocolate lab in the park.

I haven't figured out where he lives. It's not like I can follow him home, see where he goes. That would be crepy. Stalkerish. Talk to him? Well, that I could do. In theory. I just never seem to find the words. We make eye contact. Smile. And then I break away, embarrassed and tongue tied.

I'm terrible at this. I met my husband in college, where you don't so much "date" as wake up one day to find yourself in a relationship. He proposed before we graduated, we got married a year later, and then we lived blissfully for the next ten years.

Or so I thought.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. 6 paragraphs, and you painted the scene so clearly I can see it. And you left me wondering -- who is this guy? Who is the woman narrating? What went wrong in her marriage?

    I've never used writing prompts, so I'm very intrigued to see how you do this.

     
  • At 1:45 PM, Blogger Erinna said…

    Thanks, AL...what I like about using prompts is that they often take you in unexpected places. I don't know who this woman is yet, or what went wrong, but I'm interested in finding out! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home