The places I go

The more that you read, the more things you will know.

The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. -Dr. Seuss

Saturday, February 11, 2006

The silicone chip inside her head...



I picked this up in a classroom while I was teaching last week, and easily finished it within the day.

In a nutshell, this is a story set in a not-terribly-distant future where virtually everyone on Earth has a Feed installed. The Feed is an internal computer that allows people to search the internet, shop, and even instant message each other just by thinking about it. Since people can look up any information they need, literally at any moment, reading has become obsolete.

It's basically a satire of where we are now, and a warning about what we could become.

I enjoyed the story, but I did find the "futuristic slang" the author created sort of annoying. I'd really be interested in knowing what teenagers think of this book.

I also finished one of the chick lit books Lady Turpentine was so kind as to loan me:



It was a thoroughly enjoyable read. The narrator had a great voice, and she truly felt like she was someone I knew (or would want to know). The story was sweet and romantic and funny and everything a good chick lit novel should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home